Saturday, September 28, 2013

Buckwheat Bread

On a beautiful fall day in the Shenandoah Valley, we stopped in Wade's Mill in Raphine, Virginia, and much to my delight, I found that the store was selling some of its milled products including the much elusive (at least in Henrico, VA) buckwheat. I grabbed the last two bags!

I haven't wasted any time trying out my buckwheat. Today I made buckwheat bread with a recipe I found on the internet (and yes, I made some adjustments), and it is a keeper.


 
Wade's Mill in Raphine, Virginia, built around 1750

 
Buckwheat Bread
 
1 1/2 cups glutenfree flour
1/2 c buckwheat flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
2 egg whites or 1 egg
1 c reduced fat milk
1/2 c vegetable oil
 
 
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
 
2. Grease a medium sized loaf pan.
 
3. Sift flours, baking powder, xanthan gum, salt and sugar in a large bowl. Set aside.
 
4. Beat egg or egg whites. Stir in milk and oil.
 
5. Add flour mixture to egg & milk mixture, and beat for 3 minutes.
 
6. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 40 - 55 minutes.
 
7. Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.
 
 
 
Note: Store buckwheat flour in the fridge or freezer for a longer shelf life.


No comments: