Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Lemon-herb Roast Chicken

Ah, roast chicken ... it holds a special place in my memories and taste buds! It was a dish we requested for birthdays and special occasions. We grew up by the sea and dinner was more likely to be something bought fresh off the boats. Having chicken was special and there was always much anticipation.

It took me a long time to try roasting chicken but I did take the plunge, and found out that I can make roast chicken as good as my mom's ... you just have to make it with love and time it right. I have a few simple recipes that I use but the lemon-herb recipe below is one of my favorites. It smells wonderful roasting in the oven and it tastes just as great. And every time I roast a chicken ... my mother is right there with me.

 
 
1/2 cup butter (1 stick), room temperature
2 Tbsp chopped fresh rosemary or 2 tsp. dried
2 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme or 2 tsp dried
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 6 1/2 to 7 lb roasting chicken
1 1/2 tsp grated lemon rind
 
 
1. Combine butter, rosemary, thyme, garlic & lemon rind in a small bowl.
 
2. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Rinse chicken; pat dry.
 
3. Slide hand under skin of chicken and loosen from meat around the breast area. Set aside 2 tablespoons of butter mixture for use in sauce. Spread half of remaining butter under the skin and spread the rest all over the chicken. Season all over with salt and pepper. Be sure to season inside the chicken cavity as well. Tie legs together to hold shape.
 
4. Place chicken in heavy roasting pan. Roast 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375. Roast chicken until juices run clear when thickest part of  thigh is pierced with a knife, usually about 1 hour 25 minutes to 1 hr 50 minutes.
 
5. Remove chicken from pan and cover with foil. Pour chicken juices into a saucepan and skim off fat. Add 1/4 cup dry white wine (I have even used champagne!) and the reserved butter to pan juices, and bring to a boil. Make a slurry of 2 teaspoons cornstarch and 2 teaspoons water, and add to pan gradually until sauce is of desired thickness. Season with salt and pepper. Slice roast chicken and serve with sauce.


No comments: