Saturday, April 4, 2009

Buttermilk Biscuits

I love making biscuits ... easiest thing in the world to do. I had some buttermilk in the fridge that had to be used up, so I opened my trusty Campbell's Great American Cookbook (this is the book I learned to cook with). I've changed the recipe a little bit but it is basically the same. Both John and Sarah pronounced these biscuits "very good" and Sarah actually pinched one off the baking stone. I use a baking stone for almost all my baking needs.


2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup shortening (butter flavored Crisco)
3/4 cup buttermilk or sour milk, room temperature
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, combine, flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and baking soda. With a pastry blender or fork, cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal.
3. Add milk and with fork, stir until just blended and dough clings together.
4. Turn onto lightly floured surface; knead gently 10 to 12 strokes. Roll to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut into 2 1/2-inch rounds. Reroll and cut trimmings into rounds.
5. Place on ungreased baking sheet or stone. Bake 10 - 12 minutes of until golden brown.
6. Makes 12 biscuits.
To sour milk: Place 1 tbsp. white vinegar in measuring cup and fill with fresh milk to 3/4 cup mark.


These biscuits are nice and tender and tall enough to be split in half. I'm making another batch for breakfast tomorrow. I use Crisco because I read somewhere a long time ago that using vegetable shortening makes for a more tender biscuit.

No comments: