Sunday, September 21, 2008

Chunky Chip Cookies

This is my new favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe which uses four different kinds of chocolate but is just as good with only two (semi-sweet and dark chocolate). This recipe makes about 8 1/2 dozen cookies, so I usually half the recipe or if you make a full batch, you can freeze the other half of the dough.


1/2 cup butter, softened

1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening

1 cup firmly packed brown sugar

3/4 cup sugar

2 eggs

2 tsp. vanilla extract

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 tsp. baking powder

1/8 tsp. salt

1 cup miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips

1 cup milk chocolate chips

1 cup vanilla or white chocolate chips

4 squares (1 oz each) bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped

3/4 cup English toffee bits or almond brickle chips

1/2 cup chopped pecans

1. In a large bowl, cream the butter & shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.

2. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Stir in the remaining ingredients.

3. Rest dough in refrigerator for at least an hour or overnight.

4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 3 inches apart. I use a small round ice cream scoop to measure out my dough so all the cookies are the same size. Bake for 10 - 12 minutes until lightly brown.

5. Cool for 2 - 3 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely. They are absolutely superb eaten warm too.

2 comments:

podgykat said...

Now this I must try out. Are these the soft & chewy kind? Preference is for crisp cookies over here so I may have to bake them a little longer. And pecans are scarce on our supermarket shelves; once a while we'll be so blessed.;) I'll probably replace with walnuts or hazelnuts..

Evelyn M. Campbell said...

These are the soft cookies. I've made them with walnuts and they are just as good. I have a crisper chocolate chip recipe that I have been making for years and which Sarah now actually makes. I will post in a little bit.

I am home today with a case of food poisoning ... not pleasant.